Theory of professional cheese making
Joint educational program from the british Academy of Cheese and the Procheese Academy with the support of Switzerland for ukrainian cheese makers
What are the benefits of the program?
Free and in a convenient format
An opportunity to improve production processes
You choose a product for the improvement
You better your products overall
One step closer to exporting to European markets
Easy perception of information
Who is this program for?
It is the one* if you:
- are a citizen of Ukraine
- have been making and selling cheese for more than 1-2 years
- are looking to improve your technology
- want to increase production and are thinking about entering new markets
- develop recipes for cheesemaking businesses
This program is not the one if you:
- are just starting your journey in cheese making
- make cheese at home for relatives and friends
- Technical director and teacher of the Academy of Cheese, Great Britain
- Director and co-founder of the cheese business Urstrom Kaese GmbH, Germany
- Co-author of the European manual on proper hygiene in the production of craft cheese and dairy products – a document with recommendations for compliance with EU standards
- Has a degree in biochemistry (University of Dundee, Scotland)
Paul Thomas is a dairy technical consultant, hygiene expert, and cheesemaking instructor supporting businesses worldwide.
After obtaining a degree in biochemistry from the University of Dundee, he went to work in the dairy industry. He later headed up the cheese production on a farm in southern England.
He currently lives in Berlin and is the director of Urstrom Kaese GmbH, a cheese company he founded with his partner Jule in 2020.
Paul is the co-author of the European Guide to Good Hygiene in the Production of Craft Cheese and Dairy Products. This document is published by the European Commission and contains recommendations for the community to comply with EU standards.
He provides technical advice to members of the Specialist Cheesemakers’ Association of Great Britain, the Raw Milk Producers’ Association of Great Britain, the Fine Food Guild, and the Cheesemakers’ Association of Ireland (CAIS).
Paul is a member of the Hygiene Committee of the European Network of Farm and Artisan Cheesemakers (FACE). He has provided training for food compliance officers on behalf of UK food safety authorities.
His expertise has been applied to food safety cases involving cheese.
In addition to publishing articles in various publications and books, including The Oxford Companion to Cheese, Paul has written two books, both published by Lorenz Books: Homemade Cheese (2016) and Homemade Sausages (2020).
I am offering my time for free to Ukrainian cheesemakers as a result of this senseless and barbaric war. I consider it my moral duty to do whatever I can to help. I can assist cheesemakers in developing their skills, in order to grow their businesses and help to rebuild the economy after this horror is over and then, hopefully, prepare them for trade with the European Union.
Day 1. Control of the craft cheesemaking process
- monitoring the development of acidity in relation to drainage;
- monitoring of coagulation properties to optimize process management.
Day 2. Delve into production technology (choice opportunity)
- production of lactose cheeses
- alpine hard cheeses
- blue cheeses
- washed-rind cheeses
- halloumi and cheeses «for the grill»
Day 3. Elimination of common cheese defects
- the most common cheese defects and how to prevent them (from gas defects to discoloration, rancidity, and mold problems)
- when the defect may be a desirable part of the relevant cheese technology.
About the Academy of Cheese
The Academy of Cheese is a non-profit organization that promotes cheese knowledge, cheese education, and cheese careers. The Academy supports cheese producers to ensure the industry’s prosperity for them to work with interested consumers.
Academy courses are built on 4 levels of certification for the growth of expertise of both consumers and professionals.
Курси Академії побудовані на 4 рівнях сертифікації для росту експертизи як споживачів, так і професіоналів.
About ProCheese Academy
It is the first cheese Academy in Ukraine training certified cheese professionals – cheesemongers and cheese sommeliers. For 3 years, the Academy has been conducting online and offline training for those who wish to acquire a cheese profession or deepen their knowledge. Unfortunately, offline education in Kyiv has been suspended for the duration of hostilities.
In addition, the establishment creates events for cheese lovers and consults businesses.